Usually, one must express objectivity to their closest family members and friends because those are the people that he or she cares, trusts, and relies on throughout their lives. This is not always the case because strangers and acquaintances do serve as important figures to how one lives their life and how they treat their closest family members and friends. For me, whether I express my objectivity or not to a certain stranger or acquaintance depends on who that person is, what personality he or she has, and where he or she is coming from. In other words, expressing my objectivity to a stranger/acquaintance is sometimes be easy if that person has the qualities of patience and shows me respects and it is sometimes difficult if that person is not respectful and is short tempered.
One acquaintance whom I expressed my objectivity to would be Tom, who was one person I met in one of my Chemistry classes last semester and was the person that I study with. (Note: I'm not going to share the real name of my friend so I will just use the name Tom as I use him as my example for this blog). When I first met him, he came up to me and asked me if he was in the right class. I told him yes, and moments later, I introduced myself to him. Afterward, I then told him that if he needed any help during with the class, I would help him out. I wanted to tell him that my help was always available so that he would not only understand the material better but he would be able give me back respect and kindness. I continued to help him out through each class day, which showed how I was being productive by having an open mind and expressing my care for him. My mind was in the present moment and was aware of the work that he did in class. I was not thinking too heavily upon myself nor was I thinking about getting a good grade and "trying" to be smarter than others since my mind was focused in helping him out. This was similar to the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", I must give my new friend respect, happiness, and help so that I would be able to gain back that same respect and happiness back. He would be able to help me during times when I would get stuck with the material or needed any type of assistance. I always know not to be self-centered by caring only about myself by leaving him hanging and if I were to do that, strangers, or worse, my closest family members and friends, would do the same thing back to me by leaving me hanging helplessly on my own.
As I continued to demonstrate productivity and objectivity to my first new friend in Chemistry class, I was able to improve upon my expression of objectivity by being more aware of other people that I did not know in the class. During labs, whenever I would see someone lost or come up and ask me a question, I would do the same thing that I did for Tom by lending my hand to them with a smile, regardless of whether I knew them or not. I usually expressed my happiness when I help others so that they would feel comfortable and not feel frustration nor would they grow any hatred for Chemistry. I want them to know that I was there for them because I want to see them succeed in the class as well.
Helping Tom, as well as my other classmates in Chemistry class, allowed me to exercise my humility, care, and awareness for my mother, the person who was and has been the closest to me while growing up. As I continued to stay aware and open to others, I would then come home to my mother and giving her that happiness that I carried while interacting with my classmates. Whenever she saw me come home with a positive attitude, she would always feel excited and proud that I was enjoying my life outside of home and that I was treating her with respect and care.
As I've said earlier, practicing objectivity depends on who I encounter and it would be difficult if that person were to not have the ability control his emotions. At times, when I see a short tempered stranger, classmate, or acquaintance in a bad mood, my first instinct would be to yell back. I would do this because during those times of conflict, I tend to think that yelling back with anger and hitting random inanimate objects was the best way to defend myself. But this was never a good thing to do since yelling back would only create conflict and do harm to not only that person, but to myself and perhaps others around us, such as his friends or any other stranger involved with our conflicts. In addition to that, staying angry at that same person would cause me to spread those negative feelings to my mother and other significant people and from there, I would create conflict and separation between us. I will admit that I do tend to have a short temper and little patience when I am in certain situations but as I live my life, I continue to work on controlling my anger and frustration, and realize the mistakes that I have done so that strangers, acquaintances, and my close family members and friends will be objective and productive to me as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment